Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Horse games...?

Does anyone know of any simple games I can play on the ground with my 2 year old gelding to deepen our relationship. I can tell he is warming up to me (I've only had him for 2 weeks) and I want to encourage him to bond with me. I go to the stable every day....even twice a day most of the time, just to spend time with him grooming, tending to his wounds (he was just gelded) and hand walking him. He's been introduced to tack, and I've been on his back a couple times (my vet gave me the OK) but I am really looking for some easy ground work games. Any suggestions?Horse games...?
Buy the horse a bag of carrots, they just love carrots.

talk to the horse and be gentle
To me it sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. It takes time to build a relationship with a horse. They are flight creatures. Keep doing what you are doing.Horse games...?
Once the gelding wounds heal, I suggest lunging. I was having a hard time connecting to my 5 yr. old QH mare, and she would never be focused while riding, ignoring cues, etc. So, my trainer suggested lunging, and it has done WONDERS for us. When we bought her, she had just completed her full-training, but was still a little green.



The first few days/weeks were tough, she would resent being restricted to a circle, kick at the lunge whip, but eventually she became so much better! We worked on transitions in each direction, canter to trot, trot to walk, walk to stop, then back up again. She slowly began to respect my space, and our relationship grew considerably. Lunging definitely isn't something you can just go out and expect to do well the first time. It is a bonding and training experience.



Another suggestion I have is to practice no-lead following. If you have access to an arena, take your horse into the arena (preferrably without other horses around) with a halter and lead rope. For the first few times, walk him around in circles, run with him on the ground, back him, etc. Once you feel like he is focused enough on you, and calm in the arena, take off the halter and just loop it around his neck in case you need to grab him. See if he will follow you around the arena, practice doing circles, etc. If he begins to move away from you, just grab the halter around his neck and try again. This is an exercise that I recommend ONLY if you feel comfortable enough to do so, and if you feel your horse is ready. This exercise is INCREDIBLE if done correctly and diligently. In following you, the horse shows that he wants to be led by you, and he wants you to be his guide. This can help with further training, bonding, etc.



I hope these tips help! If you have any questions, feel free to email me!Horse games...?
just give it some time he will get used to you
There's a training method/game called join-up. I believe Monty Roberts teaches it and I'm not exactly sure how to do it myself but I achieved it for a few minutes the other day with my 6 month old colt.



You could also lunge him, that's always a good thing to teach a horse to do. Hand walk him in patterns, like around cones or barrels. Try having it so he walks next to you without a lead rope. It takes awhile but you'll get to that point eventually.



Good luck!
i spend a lot of time grooming my horse.. i so do stuff like brush his legs and stuff so he doesn't have a problem with it..



ever tried seeing how far his neck can bend side to side? it's really good for their necks so they don't get stiff
I often do this with my horses. When they are in the paddock or enclosed paddock I run/walk/jog around and tempt them to follow me and praise them when the do.
lateral lunging. ground work: teach him to back up, side step, hold his tail and make him touch his nose to the tip of it...those kinds of things. riding him is good and if you just go in and pet him, talk to him in a sweet voice, pick up his hooves and just stand there with it rubbing his leg at the same time, lift up his lip and see if he lets you play with his mouth. he will trust you even more after awhile of doing things like that.
Keep up what you are doing. That really helps. Umm just spend time with him, like grazeing, grooming, chatting about the day you had. They really do listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment